The most important factor in an online business that helps you attain success is finding and researching the actual search terms or phrases that audience enter in the search engines like Google. This is what we call Keyword research which is usually conducted by SEO (search engine optimization) professionals. Now, the point is how to do it! The answer to this is Google’s Keyword Planner, a tool used for creating or expanding new search campaigns. The tool provides you with all the information that is required and will let you know the keywords which are best for your business.
The new keyword planner tool is full of features that will help you identify the popularity of the keywords and will allow you create a variety of keyword combinations in a matter of seconds.
1. Create your Account
- To begin with the Keyword Planner, you need to set up a Google Adwords account.
- All you need to do is follow the prompts, type in some basic information that it asks, and you are done.
2. Login to Adwords account
- Now that you have created your account, login to your Adwords account that you have created.
- You will find a toolbar named “Tools and Analysis”. Click on it, and select “Keyword Planner”. It will take you to a Keyword Planner page.
3. Browse “What you want to do” Now is the time to browse “What you want to do”. Click on it, you will find the following four options:
- Search for new keyword and ad group ideas
- Get search volume for a list of keywords or group them into ad groups
- Get traffic forecasts for a list of keywords
- Multiply keyword lists to get new keyword ideas
In order to conduct the process of keyword research for SEO, you will need all the options except ‘Get traffic estimates‘ for a list of keywords. There is a reason for this. This option is only applicable for Adwords advertisers. The next step is to use each of the above-mentioned tools to find awesome keywords. Related: How to Improve Website Ranking in Google?
This part involves the process of using three tools of the Google Keyword Planner. Use them and get a fantastic list of keywords to conduct your SEO campaigns.
1. Search for New Keyword and Ad Group Ideas Click on the option and it will display the menus like “your product or service”, “your landing page”, and “your product category”. Fill all the categories as all of them are important for the tool to work. Let’s see what these categories are all about.
- Your product or service: This category actually involves a list of keywords. Choose the top keywords that you think are appropriate to maximize your business, and put them in this category.
- Your landing page: The option is basically used by Adwords users. However, you can, at times, find some good keywords here as well.
- Your product category: You will use this category to access the internal database of Google. You will find here keywords associated with different industries. If you are not using the first two categories, it’s worth using this option to find the list of keywords.
So, choose accordingly, and enter the information in any of the three categories as discussed above. Targeting: Now is the time to select “Targeting” options. It refers to the country, language, and the search engine related to your marketing.
- The default targeting location is the US. If you have the same target audience, then nothing needs to be changed. Leave them as they are. However, if that is not the case with you, change the options accordingly.
- There is another option named as “Negative Keywords”. The category refers to the keywords that you don’t wish to use. The feature, however, is applicable to Adwords users only.
Customize your Search: It includes the following options:
- Keyword filters: Use this option to filter out the keywords that do not fit into your requirements.
- Keyword options: The category is mainly for Adwords campaigners. So, you can avoid it.
- Include/Exclude: Depending on your necessities, it’s your choice if you need to include or exclude certain keywords from appearing in the results.
Get Ideas: Once you are done with all the categories, click on “Get Ideas”. Doing this will display the Keywords Results Page. Related: Impact of Voice Search on Digital Marketing Strategies 2. Get search volume for a list of keywords or group them into ad groups
- If you already have your list of keywords, and you now would like to check the search volume of these keywords, this is the option which can allow you to do so. That being said, you cannot use this feature find out new keyword ideas.
- To use the feature, copy and paste the list of keywords in the search field. Or else, you can also upload the list in a CSV file.
- Similar to “Search for new keyword and ad group ideas” tool, you can target the country as well as the language of your result.
- Now, you will get to know the number of people who searched the keywords that you entered. For this, click “Get search volume
3. Get new keyword Ideas with Multiply Keyword Lists Option
This tool takes into account group of keywords and creates a number of keyword combinations. Though it may not always bring in the desired keywords, at times, can come up with really good keywords. The tool is majorly used for the keyword research based on e-commerce websites as it assists you in identifying almost all the possible combinations that users can enter in the search engine to look for your products.
- Start with entering a list of keywords into “List 1”.
- Continue by adding another list into the option given as “List 2”.
- If you want to add the third field as well, you can do so by clicking on the “X” shown in grey. If you do so, just add the set of keywords into the List 3.
- Once you are done with it, click on “Get search volume”, and you will find the list of keywords that tool came up with.
1. Options in the Keywords Results page All the three tools that are discussed above will bring you to “Keywords Results page”. You will find the following options in this page:
- Ad group ideas: The tab includes every potential ad group in addition to the keywords associated with them.
- Keyword ideas: The tab includes several search parameters like keywords, their relevance, average monthly searches, and lastly, a graphic representation of those searches.
- Left-hand sidebar: This section shows the targeting parameters you have set to find the keywords. You can edit any of the parameters by clicking on the grey colored pencil icons that can be seen in every box.
2. Use “Ad group ideas” and “Keyword ideas” Many make mistake of jumping to “Keyword ideas” and ignoring the “Ad group ideas” completely. Experienced AdWords manager have found some really good keywords from the “Ad group ideas” tab.
Clicking on “Keyword ideas” tab will display the following terms:
- Search terms: These include the keywords that you entered earlier.
- Keyword (by relevance): This involves the list of keywords that Google finds most useful to the “search term” keyword.
- Average Monthly searches: You will find here a rough estimate of search volume.
- Competition: It displays the number of advertisers bidding on the keyword.
- Suggested bid: The higher suggested bid means the more lucrative traffic.
This is how you can do a keyword research by using Google keyword Planner. Related: Strategies To Be Followed To Launch A Successful Adwords Campaign